BODY & MIND: 12 HABITS OF HEALTHY PEOPLE
Being a healthy person is about your holistic approach, its not simply about eating healthy, or keeping active, and its certainly not about doing this in fits and starts. Its about your whole attitude and approach to life and you, both inside and out.
It’s about body and mind.
So here’s 12 habits that ‘highly’ (and that word is important!) healthy people adopt.
1. Physical Activity: Ultimately it doesn’t matter what it is, just get moving.
2. Portion Size: This is not so much about what you eat, but how much of it you eat. Eat mindfully, not just because it’s there.
3. Forgiveness: Deal with situations and emotions so that you can leave negativity and grudges behind and move forwards.
4. Adequate Sleep: Sleep is not a luxury or a commodity to be traded, it is a necessity! Sleep helps the body repair physically, and the brain to process emotions of the day.
5. Preventive Healthcare Tests: Your health is your responsibility so be proactive, get yourself checked out and MOT’d.
6. Try Something New: Challenge the way you feel and function. New is good. New doesn’t mean you have to lose something, and its doesn’t need to mean change forever. New is simply, new.
7. Laugh: Laughter is scientifically proven to change are physiology for the better, so laughter really is the best medicine. It good for your, heart and mind, and its a gift to others.
8. Strength and Flexibility: You only get one body, and it must last you a lifetime. Be kind to it and help it to be the best it can be.
9. Family and Friends: Authenticity, acceptance and love are life essentials. Be with the people who make you feel happy and good about being you.
10. Address Addictive Behaviours: Be responsible for your thoughts and emotions. Don’t let them control you, and if they do, seek help and get support.
11. Quiet Your Mind: To find peace within, learn to listen to yourself. If your mind is loud and busy it’s because its having to shout to get your attention. Spend time listening and getting to know yourself. You never know, you might jut meet someone amazing…You.
12. Gratitude: You are here. You are doing it, this thing called life. If you are brave enough to look and accept, you will see that you have all you need around you.
I wonder how many of these 12 habits you already connect to, and which habits you want to start?
If you would like help with anything raised in this post, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 07961 313029.
Wishing you a happy and confident day.
n.b. This list is inspired by an article by William B. Bradshaw published on The Huffington Post – The 12 habits of ‘Highly’ Healthy People. The explanations for each habit are my own.